Thursday, February 26, 2009

I would have liked it more if Jim and Jules had hooked up


In our class discussion over Jules and Jim, we discussed the idea of women and coolness. Donna raised the question, is it possible for women to be cool unless they share the same qualities of coolness that are stereotypically assigned to men? Personally, I believe that the things that make people cool are not gender-specific at all. The qualities that I have outlined throughout my previous blogs can easily be applied to people of both genders. Qualities like intelligence, kindness, justice, and authority primarily make up coolness. Unfortunately, I have not seen may women in popular culture who have these features. I apologize if I offend anyone by saying this, but women in most current television shows or movies are merely sex symbols who use their sexuality so seduce men into doing what they want them to do. However, there are women who perfectly fit the same cool qualities that make men cool. Women like Kate Mulgrew as Captain Janeway and Maggie Smith in almost every role she plays (but especially as Professor McGonagall) are able to take universal qualities of coolness and perform as incredibly cool characters. Additionally, if the gender of their characters was switched, then they would still retain their coolness.
In any case, I did not find any amount of coolness in Jules and Jim. The entire movie was about a two friends who fall deeply in love with a very sexy and fun woman named Catherine. When first posed with this premise for the movie, I thought to myself that the film could turn out to be a moderately enjoyable experience, but as the film went on, I found the relationship between the three to be very uncool. The uncoolness is primarily generated by Catherine, who is a free-spirited woman who cares only for shallow and trivial pleasures like playful games and sex. In addition, Jules and Jim flock to her because of her beauty and personality, and the two men fall deeply in love with her. However, even though Jules and Jim are absolutely enthralled with Catherine, she does not truly return their affection. Although she claims that she is in love with both men, her "love" is nothing more than sexual desire disguised with sweet words. In addition, I cannot find Jules or Jim to be cool either. Because they do not have the sense to see through Catherine's shallow persona, I can only look at them with scorn and discontent.

1 comment:

  1. Haven't you ever fallen for someone that you know is totally not all that great, but still want to be with them? Do you think that Jules and Jim's experience with Catherine is so atypical?

    I just don't see why you don't have sympathy for them.

    ReplyDelete